Fall Competitive Stroke Clinics
(Age 8-18. Must be 7 by 12/31/17)
Clinics will focus on stroke technique and some endurance training. Must be able to swim front crawl a full length of the pool without stopping. Clinics will begin Thursday, September 7 and end on Saturday, September 23. Practices held at the GHS Pool.
Swimmers ages 7 to 9 year olds. Group meets Monday, Wednesday, Friday 5:30-6:15 p.m.
Swim Clinic Developmental 224030-HH
Returning 7 to 9 year olds and new 10 to 12 year olds. Group meets Tuesday and Thursday 5:30-6:30 p.m. and Saturday 4:00-5:00 p.m.
Swim Clinic Intermediate 1 224030-II
Returning 10 to 12 year olds and new 13 to 15 year olds. Group meets Tuesday and Thursday 6:30-7:30 p.m. and Saturday 5:00-6:00 p.m.
Swim Clinic Intermediate 2 224030-JJ
Returning 13 to 15 year olds and High School swimmers. Group meets Monday, Wednesday, Friday 6:00-7:30 p.m. and Saturday 6:00-7:30 p.m.
Swim Clinic Advanced 224030-KK
Glastonbury Recreation Swim Team
(Kids Ages 7-18; Must be 7 by 12/31/17)
Children/Parents must be residents of Glastonbury to participate on the Glastonbury Team. Please see registration details below. CLICK HERE FOR TEAM LEVELS, PRICES, DATES AND TIMES
Optional Informational Session
Are you thinking about swim team but want to know more about it? Come to a parent informational session on Monday August 28th at 7:00 p.m. at the Wells Turner Library Friends Room. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to register for the informational session.
Swim Team Registration Process
Step 1: Attend Pre-Season Screening at Glastonbury High School. No Registration Required. Only one session required. Choose from Tuesday, 9/5 at 5:30 p.m. OR Wednesday, 9/6 at 5:30 p.m. Screening is approximately 2 hours. Please arrive promptly at 5:30 p.m. At the screening, the coaches will assess swim skills. This is a team pre-enrollment process only and does not ensure placement on the team or enrollment. Kids ages 7-12 and all kids ages 12 and up that have never participated on the Swim Team MUST attend the screening and receive their practice group assignment before registering for swim team. Practice group assignments will be provided at the conclusion of screening.
Step 2: Registration begins online or by mail on Wednesday, September 13 at 8:00 a.m. Registrations will not be accepted prior to September 13. Walk-in registration will begin Friday, September 15. Early registration is advised as space is limited by pool capacity. Swimmers are required to compete in meets. Register for the practice group assignment provided by coaches. If there is a wait-list, please register anyhow as there is a good chance your swimmer will be placed. Please see guidelines on the next page.
Step 3: Attend the parent kickoff meeting in late September. This meeting provides further detail of what to expect including meet schedule, practice & meet logistics, team website overview and more. Swim team uniforms and equipment are also available for purchase.
Optional USA Short Course
Register for the USA Short Course if your swimmer wants additional meets and/or a more competitive program. Participation is optional, but swimmers must be registered in a Glastonbury Swim Team practice group. Registration opens with the Recreation Swim Team. There is a separate additional fee (approximately $350 subject to change) collected by the Glastonbury Swim Parents Organization to cover the cost of USA Meet Entry Fees. Season runs through mid-March.
Swim Team Important Notes
- Once assigned, coaches reserve the right to move swimmers to different practice groups at their discretion. If a child is moved to a different practice group before 11/15, you will be required to pay the difference or a partial refund will be issued.
- Practices begin early October and conclude in February (USA extends through Mid- March).
- Practices are held at Glastonbury High School. For Junior 1, 2 and Senior practices, there are also practices held at Trinity College in Hartford.
- Recreation swim meets (approximately 4/season) are held in the Hartford Vicinity and take place on a Saturday or Sunday November-January. Championship meets take place in Mid-February.
- Swim meets are run with the help of parents and parents will be asked to assist at swim meets in the form of timing as an example.
- The Glastonbury Swim Parents Organization (GSPO) requires a separate annual fee of $40 paid in October to support the program and meets.
It’s still boating season! Boat launch permits are available at the Parks and Recreation office located on 2143 Main Street. Boaters must bring proof of residency and a valid boat registration. Office hours are Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
The single boat launch will be open until November. The launch is located at Riverfront Park, 252 Welles Street, a short walk from Glastonbury center. The park offers 24 boat trailer parking spaces. A covered picnic pavilion, children’s playground and walking trails are also available at the park. An attendant will be on duty during the boating season. Restrooms available on site.
SEASONAL PERMITS: Residents: $60/year
DAILY LAUNCH: Residents: $20/day
Kayak, Paddle Board, Fly Fish...Oh My!
The Parks and Recreation Department has partnered with the L.L. Bean Outdoor Discovery Schools to conduct various kayak, paddleboard and fly-fishing programs at the Riverfront Park through October, 2017. The following programs will be held on weekends:
- Discovery Kayaking
- Introduction to Recreational Kayaking
- Intermediate Recreational Kayaking
- Sunset & Full Moon Kayaking
- Discovery Stand-Up Paddle Boarding
- Introduction to Stand-Up Paddle Boarding
- Stand up Paddle Boarding Yoga
- Fly Fishing
Custom programming opportunities for groups, parties, organizations and team building events may be available upon request. Specific information on these programs can be found online at www.llbean.com/southwindsor on the “Events Calendar”. To register for a program, three easy options are available.
- Online: www.llbean.com/southwindsor
- Phone: 1-888-LLBEAN1 (1-888-552-3261)
- At the South Windsor Store (75 Evergreen Walk, South Windsor, CT 06074)
Please contact L.L. Bean at 1-888-552-3261 or the Parks and Recreation Department (860)652-7679 with any questions.